Tuesday, July 7, 2009

The Work Shop

A few bloggers asked me how I keep everything organized so I thought it would be fun to post some pictures of my work shop:

The only way I can hand make everything fast is to keep everything really organized. I don't have any employees so I have to stay super organized and caught up. It really helps that I was a chef for many years before I got into accounting and eventually started this business. I run everything like it was a restaurant. All of my ordering and organizing is the same way I would do it in a kitchen. I can't make anything ahead of time because everything is customized, but I pre-cut everything I can and I do everything I can to make sure I don't run out of supplies. I bought two antique library card catalogs and they are filled with supplies (all of the drawers are alphabetized).

I have 7 of the Brother PR600 embroidery machines (my sister has three at her house because she does the wholesale orders). The trick is to keep all of them running at the same time!

Every other day I print all the orders (I ship on the other days). I then do all of the monogramming, then all of the sewing and gluing. After that I move on to ceramics.

After any ceramic orders are finished I make the jewelry. I finally bought a jewelry work bench and it keeps everything more organized. If I don't stay extremely organized I can't find anything!!

I have a separate room for shipping. I wait until everything is finished and then I do all of the shipping at once.

Once everything is packed and ready to go I haul it down to the post office. I clean my workshop every night so that it is ready to go every morning. If I don't clean it up every day it turns into a big disaster really fast.

No comments: